The town hall tower is a very important building in the Krakow Rynek. Only the tower remains from what used to be a large building housing Krakow’s town hall. The town hall tower is 70 meters (230 feet) tall and leans 55 cm (21 inches) because of some strong winds in a storm in 1703. The town hall tower is a gothic structure and it is built out of stone and brick. The town hall tower has been around since the early fifteenth century but has been renovated throughout the years due to several fires causing damage. One of the many renovations included the current roof, a baroque addition from the late 17th century.
The Krakow Town Hall was built in 1383 and because it has had many fires, the tower has changed a lot over the years. The only part of the Town Hall remaining is the 70m-high tower. The town hall tower was used for Krakow’s city government and is guarded by two stone lions (gargoyles) on both sides of the stairs at the north entrance. The town hall tower had an original gothic ‘helmet’ roof that was destroyed by fire because of lightning during a storm in 1680. The town hall tower was heightened 6.5 meters and its present baroque roof dates back to 1686. For many years the basement of the tower has been renowned is the Stage of a place called the “Teatr Ludowy”. It used to be a torcher chamber, then a wine cellar and now some bathrooms.
The town hall tower is both Gothic and Baroque and a very distinctive part of the tower is its stained glass. This stained glass is at the top of the tower and is an amazing part of the tower. The windows have beautiful colors and are almost in every window. The colors include: blue, orange, brown, yellow and white. There are also viewing windows at the top (you can climb stairs to get there) that give you a phenomenal view of the whole old town. It also has attractive facades made of red brick with white stone accents and quoins on the corners. One of the parts of the tower are the lions right in front of it. The lions are laying right in front of the tower and are carved out of stone. The two lions were brought from a country house in Plawniowice in the 1960s. The lions are lying down on either side of the tower and are said to guard the tower.
The stained glass is the most colorful part of the tower. The stained glass is made out of 6 different colors Fire orange, Tangerine, Marigold, Honey, Banana, and Cerulean. A very thing about the stained glass is that you can only see the colors from the inside of the tower and outside it is a Charcoal color. Its pattern starts with the banana color representing bricks with a thin layer of cerulean color on top. Then it has circles to the top. They placed in the renovation of 1961 to 1965.
One of the most famous parts of the tower are the stone lions. The lion statues are laying right in front of the tower and are carved out of stone. The two lions were brought from a country house in Pławniowice in the 1960s. The lions are lying down on either side of the tower and are said to guard the tower. The Lions were carved in the beg