The Dominican church, is one of the largest churches in Krakow and is said to be one of the most popular churches in all of Małopolska. The church has survived two fires, failed renovations, unsuccessful attempts of destruction, both world wars, and is still standing today. The Dominican church is located in the city center and is a popular tourist attraction and place of worship. The church is located on Stolarska 12 and is a 1-minute walk from the Rynek.
The Dominican church was built after Iwo Odrowąż brought the Dominicans of Bologna to Poland in 1222. The church was built in the middle of the 13th century on the site of an older Romanesque church named the Holy Trinity. It was built by Iwo’s brother, Jacek Odrowąż but he didn’t live to see his creation dying in 1257. Later the church was badly destroyed during a fire in 1462, and another fire struck in 1850, which made rebuilding not so perfect. Now it is not exactly the same but it’s close to the original.
The Dominican church is a very interesting church regarding architecture. It is a neo-gothic church that underwent extensive renovations in the Spring of 2019. The building is made of brick. On the façade, there are quatrefoils, trefoils, lancets, buttresses, a stepped gable, and arches above the doors. On the stepped gable there are blind arches and on top of these blind arches are bas-relief sculptures featuring many symbols. Inside there is a dome above the altar, there are arcades beside the aisle, there is a huge arch on the aisle, a lancet behind the altar, many statues, and a vaulted ceiling. On the roof of the nave, there is a small spire.